Wondering how to improve your immunity? Let turmeric come to your rescue. This yellow root has always left healthcare practitioners gaping in awe. With its tremendous medicinal benefits, turmeric/Haldi has more than 4000 years of history of being used in Ayurvedic and Unani concoctions, ointments, and ingestible preparations. In South-East Asia, Turmeric isn’t just a principal culinary spice but also an extensively used element in religious practices. Due to its ‘Bright yellow’ hue, it is called the ‘Indian Saffron’. The main ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. It is a potent anti-inflammatory agent and an excellent antioxidant that fuels the immunity power. Here are 3 drinks that can healthify your body in and out.
Traditional Turmeric Milk
If you are an Indian, there are good chances that you must have had Haldi milk either during a congestive cold to clear phlegm or to ease the pain of broken bones. Indian mothers and grandmothers hold a firm belief in the miraculous benefits of ‘Haldi wala doodh’ or turmeric milk when taken during bedtime. Traditionally, this recipe was prepared with raw turmeric root and crushed long pepper called Pipli or Pippali in India. Peperine, a compound found in pippali (long pepper) is said to enhance the bioavailability of curcumin in turmeric. However, in these modern days of ease and accessibility, organic turmeric is available in the form of powder with crushed pepper. Here’s how you can make your very own spiced turmeric latte in just 2 minutes.
- 1 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- ¾ tsp honey
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 pinch of vanilla extract
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- Warm the milk on a low flame.
- Add the ingredients until completely dissolved.
- Once smooth, pour the mixture through a sieve.
- Serve lukewarm in a glass.
Turmeric And Ginger Cider
This turmeric drink isn’t just flavorful, but also intensively beneficial for health. You must have guessed it till now that this recipe uses sweet apple cider vinegar. This special cider combines three powerful ingredients for a unique flavour and nutritional profile. Combined with turmeric and ginger, sweet apple cider is a very active detoxifying agent. Its myriad benefits include fighting inflammation, balancing the sugar level in blood and boosting the immune system. Here’s the recipe to this powerful health potion:
- 1 cup sweet apple cider
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp powdered or grated turmeric
- ½ square inch lemon peel.
- Combine cider, ginger, turmeric, and lemon peel in a saucepan over a high flame. Heat for about 3 minutes. Turn off the flame when bubbles appear on the edges.
- Cover the pan and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Strain the hot cider into a cup and serve immediately.
Masala Turmeric Tea
One of the easier ways to consume turmeric is by replacing it with your regular tea. Turmeric tea is easy to make and offers excellent benefits. With lemon, this turmeric drink has anti-carcinogenic benefits. Not just this, turmeric tea also helps to reduce cardiovascular complications, manage irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), prevents and treats Alzheimer’s, relax asthma, pulmonary and cystic fibrosis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Isn’t it a real miracle drink? Here’s how you can make it:
- 2 spoon organic raw honey
- ½ teaspoons dried turmeric
- ½ lemon
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Start by boiling 1 cup of water.
- Add turmeric powder and pepper. Stir well.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 5 minutes
- Strain the tea into a cup and add honey to taste.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
Markets are flooded with turmeric that is synthetic and chemically processed. Make sure that you get your haldi powder from any organic store. If you are not sure about the natural part, you can also get raw turmeric root and put it to use by drying and grinding to make a fine powder. Also, it will be best if you can find a product with BioPerine (the trademark name for piperine), that increases the absorption of curcumin by 2000 percent. Try these recipes and tell us which turmeric drink did you like the most in the comment section! Stay happy, stay healthy!