Mrs. Kapoor was yet again taking her son to the doctor. Her little boy Rahul was, unfortunately, suffering from a nasty cough and cold. Rahul used to get sick frequently especially when the season changed. On her way to the doctor’s office, she met her favourite neighborhood grandma, popularly known as ‘Superhero Dadi’. They struck a conversation as soon as they met and grandma started to ask about Rahul.
Grandma: Hi Mrs. Kapoor. Where are both you and Rahul off to?
Mrs. Kapoor: I’m taking him to the doctor’s office dadi. He’s sick again and I don’t know what else to do!
Grandma: Don’t worry beta. When grandma is here, then why fear? You just need to focus on building Rahul’s immunity naturally. Exposing children to allopathic medicines like cough syrups, analgesic tablets, and painkillers can be harmful to their health. You must try to resort to home remedies.
Mrs. Kapoor: But grandma I don’t know any home remedies. And are they even as effective as the medicines prescribed by the doctor?
Grandma: In my time we didn’t have the facility to visit a doctor every time someone got sick. So we always used home remedies to recover. And trust me beta they work just as effectively as your allopathic medicines and have zero side effects.
Mrs. Kapoor: Really grandma? Please oh please, you have to tell me more about these home remedies so that I can help Rahul recover!
Grandma: For sure beta. Come let’s have a cup of chai at my place and I’ll write down my top 5 treasured home remedies for you. We can even chat for a while Rahul rests at my place!
Grandma, Mrs. Kapoor, and Rahul went over to grandma’s place. Mrs. Kapoor and grandma sat down for a cup of chai and grandma wrote down her secret recipes. Let’s take a look at what she wrote:
1. DIY Vapor Rub
- Heat some water in a double boiler and to it add 4tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp Shea butter, and 1.5 tbsp beeswax. Let it melt and keep stirring the mixture over low heat.
- Remove the boiler from heat and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 6 drops of Vitamin E oil, 5 drops of lavender essential oil, 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, 15 drops of peppermint essential oil, and 15 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Mix the oils well and store it in jars.
2. DIY Cough Syrup
- Mix ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp ground ginger, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, and ½ cup of water.
- Mix all the ingredients well and make sure the mixture is not too thick.
- Store it at room temperature and take it 3 times a day.
- Do not add honey for children less than 1 year of age.
3. Turmeric and Basil Gargling Water
- Take 1 cup of lukewarm water and to it add ½ tsp of turmeric, ½ tsp of salt and some basil leaves.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes. Then strain the mixture and gargle with it every 3 hours.
4. Turmeric Milk
- Boil 1 cup of full-fat milk and bring it down to room temperature.
- Add ¼ tsp of turmeric (1 tsp in case of adults), ¼ tsp of cinnamon powder, and 2-3 strands of saffron.
- Let it seep for 5-10 minutes.
- Drink this milk before going to bed every night to soothe your throat.
5. Grandma’s Kadha
- Heat a saucepan on a slow flame and to it add 1 clove, 1 tbsp ground black pepper, 1tsp finely chopped ginger, and 5 tulsi leaves. Dry roast the spices for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups of water to the spice mixture and cook it over medium flame for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Strain the mixture and add honey for sweetness. Serve it while it’s hot.
Grandma: Here you go beta. This is the list of my secret recipes for getting rid of that nasty cough and cold. I assure you Rahul will get better in no time and with the antibacterial and antioxidant properties of the ingredients used, his natural immunity will also get stronger!
Mrs. Kapoor: Thank you so much, Grandma! Now I know why everybody calls you ‘Superhero Dadi’.
Grandma: Ha-ha! Thank you beta and you just take care of my little Rahul and make sure to tell me when he recovers.
Mrs. Kapoor: For sure Dadi. You really opened up my eyes today. I will definitely follow the recipes you gave.
The two ladies woke up Rahul from his nap and hugged each other before saying goodbye for the night. Our dear Rahul recovered in just 4-5 days and thanked ‘Superhero Dadi’ for her recipes. He gave her flowers, gave her a kiss on the cheek, and went on to play with his friends.