If you have looked down on Bollywood for copying movies from Hollywood and Tollywood, then it is time you look at the bigger picture and realize that it is not only Bollywood that gets inspired. Movies made in Hollywood garner inspiration from movies made in other languages too. Surprising, right? If we list down all the Hollywood movies that are copied from other countries, it would take years. So, we have just limited the inspiration to Bollywood films. Here’s a list of 5 Hollywood movies that were inspired by Bollywood counterparts.
1. Pearl Harbour (2001) – Sangam (1964)
Do you know which Bollywood movie inspired this Oscar-nominated movie? This film was criticized for not focusing on the Pearl harbour incident but on a love triangle. It got the idea of the love story from the Bollywood classic ‘Sangam’.
2. Leap Year (2010) – Jab We Met (2007)
Even Amy Adams took inspiration from Kareena Kapoor for a hit rom-com. Except for the exquisite locations, there isn’t much difference between ‘Leap Year’ and our all-time favorite rom-com ‘Jab We Met.’
3. A Common Man (2013) – A Wednesday (2008)
A common man is an official remake of the movie ‘A Wednesday’. At Least the makers got credit for a movie starring Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley.
4. Delivery Man (2013)- Vicky Donor (2012)
Ayushman Khurana’s Bollywood debut movie inspired a Vince Vaughn movie. We don’t know if he should be proud or sad about the fact that compared to his 53 babies in the movie, Vince had 553.
5. Win a Date with Tad Hamilton (2004) – Rangeela (1995)
Another Bollywood love triangle plot made it to Hollywood when ‘Rangeela’ was adapted in ‘Win a Date with Tad Hamilton.’ The only difference between the two was that the best friend was not a ‘Tapoori’ in the adaptation.
There are various other Hollywood movies that took inspiration from Bollywood films like Forty Shades of Blue (2005) from Satyajit Ray’s Bengali film Charulata(1964), Divorce Invitation(2012) from Aahwanam (1997), Kill Bill Volume 1 (2003) from Abhay (2001) and many more. Though we can’t mention them all, we can surely tell you which ones don’t make the cut. Take a look!
- The movie Partner (2007) was inspired by Hitch (2005) and it is believed that Hitch was adapted from Chhoti Si Baat (1975). In reality, both movies were inspired by School for Scoundrels (1960).
- A Star Is Born (2018) was not inspired by Aashiqui 2 (2013), but both movies are a remake of A Star Is Born(1957)
- Just Go With It (2011) isn’t inspired from Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya (2005) but from Dil ka doctor (1995) which was adapted from French play Fleur De Cactus(1964)
- Fear (1996) wasn’t a remake of Darr (1993), both movies were adapted from Robert De Niro film, Martin Scorsese-directed Cape Fear (1991).
Why are you still here, go pick a movie for Sunday movie night, and impress your friends with your newly acquired ‘gyaan.’