Soon after announcing the partnership with Facebook, Mukesh Ambani owned Reliance Industries has reportedly started its e-commerce venture of Reliance Retail, Jio Mart in select locations on the outskirts of Mumbai. The new e-commerce platform comes fruitful after Facebook acquired a 9.99 percent equity stake in Jio Platforms for $5.7 billion (Rs. 43,574 crore).
In a bid to ease the procedure of buying daily essencials and groceries via online, Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has started its JioMart service on JioMart’s WhatsApp business account. The new service would let people order essential commodities by simply texting on official WhatsApp number. JioMart service is currently now available in three sub-urban areas of Mumbai – Navi Mumbai, Thane, and Kalyan. It will be rolled out in several other cities pretty soon.
JioMart is currently promoting its e-commerce platform by saying itself “Desh Ki Nayi Dukaan”. By starting its online grocery service on WhatsApp, Reliance Retail’s e-commerce platform, JioMart has gained direct access and reach to WhatsApp’s 400 million users in India currently under the ongoing lockdown due to the deadly coronavirus pandemic.
To order from JioMart, the users from above-mentioned areas have to add JioMart’s official business WhatsApp number (88500 08000) on their smartphones, and then the users will receive a link on the Whatsapp chat window which remains in service for 30 minutes. Using the received link from JioMart, the users can then place an order from a catalog of over 50,000 products by submitting their details including address and phone number.
Once placed the order, the order details will be forwarded to the local Kirana store over WhatsApp and the respective store details will be shared with the customers. The customers then have to pick up the order from the nearby respective store when it’s ready. The report says users can place their orders only in “cash on delivery” payment option.
Being an O2O (online-to-offline) marketplace, JioMart allows consumers to search products on online but buy option will be handled by an offline channel. Through these local kirana stores, Relaince Retail’s e-commerce arm will sell its own private labels under brand names such as Good Life, Best Farms, Masti Oye, Enzo, Kaffe, Expelz, Mopz and Home One.
How to Place an Order on JioMart?
- To place an order on JioMart, users are required to add JioMart’s official business WhatsApp number (88500 08000) to their contacts.
- After adding the number, a customer needs to send a text to 8850008000 by typing “Hi”.
- After you send the message, JioMart will revert to your text with the shopping link along with a welcome message that reads “Welcome to JioMart WhatsApp Order Booking Service”. The link is valid for 30 minutes only. If you fail to order within this time, you need to generate a new link by sending “Hi” again.
- Once you tap on the link, you will be redirected to the credentials page. There you will have to fill your personal details such as name, mobile number, area, locality, and house number.
- Next, you will be provided a catalogue of all the available items. Then select the items and hit the “Place Order” button below.
- After processing your order (when the order is ready), JioMart will send an order invoice along with the grocery store’s details. After this, you can head over to the store and pay there and collect your ordered items.
Currently, the only payment option available is “cash on delivery” and there is no option to change, modify or cancel an order. As of now, there is no minimum or maximum order limit. The JioMart service will be available via an app for both Android and iOS operating platforms and it is expected to launch very soon. When it will continue to work properly, it will allow users to order items and get them home delivered.