I’m sure that all of us have at least one family member who suffers from diabetes. Because of the lifestyle that we lead today, diabetes has become exceedingly common in Indian households. Diabetes decreases your body’s ability to respond to insulin. This leads to abnormal metabolism of carbohydrates and a spike in the blood sugar levels. If you have not been diagnosed with this disorder yet but suffer from its symptoms, then it’s important for you to pay attention to the lifestyle you lead. You’d be surprised to learn that according to WHO, the number of adults in India suffering from diabetes has nearly quadrupled since 1980. Furthermore, health experts believe that India will have a burden of nearly 79,441,000 diabetic patients by 2030.
Many people are under the impression that managing diabetes can be a difficult task. However, with the right tips and tricks, you can overcome this disease! India is known for its ayurvedic practices and medicines that promote holistic healing. Ayurveda has many tips that can help you manage your blood sugar levels easily. Diabetes is popularly known as ‘Madhumey’ in Ayurvedic culture. The Ayurvedic treatment for the same consists of avoiding consumption of simple carbs and sweets and including green leafy vegetables in your meals. Let’s have a look at the Ayurvedic diabetes diet plan!
- Three kinds of ‘doshas’ are popular in Ayurvedic culture. These are – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. If all these doshas in your body are perfectly balanced, then you’ll be healthy as a horse! According to Ayurvedic experts, diabetes is a kind of ‘Agni dosha’ (digestive fire) that leads to a spike in blood sugar levels.
- Some popular Ayurvedic herbs known as ‘Guduchi’,’Shardunika’, ‘Kudki’, and ‘Punarnava’ can be a vital treatment option for this disorder. A diabetic-friendly herbal mixture consisting of one part ‘Guduchi’, one part ‘Shardunika’, one part ‘kudki’, and two parts ‘Punarnava’ can do wonders for your body. You must drink this mixture two to three times a day with warm water.
- Also, drinking turmeric water can prove to be quite beneficial in the management of diabetes.
- You must’ve heard your grandson telling you how beneficial it is to drink water from a copper vessel. According to Ayurveda, water from a copper vessel helps in the management of the three doshas in your body. All you’ve got to do is drink one cup of water from a copper vessel at night and one in the morning.
- Another health trick that Ayurveda experts swear by is fenugreek seeds or ‘methi dana’. Drinking methi dana first thing in the morning can help diabetic patients maintain their blood sugar levels throughout the day.
- Diabetic patients should also stay away from sweets as much as possible. Instead, choose to consume bitter food items such as amla, bitter gourd, aloe vera, etc.
- Several Indian spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, asafoetida, coriander, and mustard are famous for controlling blood sugar levels. Using these spices wisely in your everyday meals can certainly prove to be beneficial for diabetic patients.
- Furthermore, pay attention to reducing trans fat in your meals and switch to skimmed milk or low-fat dairy products if you’re suffering from diabetes.
If you’re suffering from diabetes and want to take the holistic treatment approach for the same, then you must consult an Ayurveda expert. Small lifestyle changes today can help control the spike in your blood sugar levels and improve your quality of life. Furthermore, always remember, do not change your diet straightaway without consulting an expert.