People often say that living a long and healthy life is just a myth. But I’m here to tell you that with the right kind of ‘longevity diet, ‘ you too can lead a long and healthy life. As we age, we contract several diseases which can take a toll on our both; physical and mental health. So how about we change the way we eat to live the way we want to?
Valter Lango, an Italian-American biogerontologist and biologist is the mind behind the genius longevity diet. This diet plan is mainly designed for older adults and helps prevent problems of malnutrition in the elderly. However, the longevity diet earns a brownie point from dietitians across the globe, for being applicable to all age groups. Are you curious to find out more about the longevity diet? If yes, then read on!
What is the Longevity Diet?
Food not only affects our mood but also affects the overall functioning of our body. Our dietary choices can reflect our quality of life in the future. It’s okay to devour your food guilty pleasures once in a while, but these unhealthy food choices can reduce your overall lifespan. It can also make you more vulnerable to various lifestyle diseases and disorders.
The longevity diet is more of a lifestyle change rather than a diet plan. It includes avoiding dairy and meat products and consuming more plant-based proteins. In this diet regimen, you’ll also minimize your consumption of fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Increasing your fasting window is another essential component of this diet. I know all of this sounds pretty daunting, but don’t think for a second that your taste buds will have to compromise!
How Does the Longevity Diet Work?
Several types of research cite high protein and saturated fat diet as the main culprit behind various cardiovascular diseases. The longevity diet concentrates mainly on plant-based foods which helps reduce the mortality due to such diseases.
Only a small amount of fish is included in the diet so that you don’t miss out on any essential nutrients that a plant-based diet cannot provide. Fish will provide omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B12 to your body. These nutrients are essential to keep your body’s cells and nerves healthy. They also help to repair any damaged tissues in the body.
What are the Benefits of the Longevity Diet?
- It helps you to maintain a better overall health by keeping your waistline in check.
- Aging can result in loss of bone mass. The longevity diet helps prevent any decline in muscle and bone mass.
- It increases your resistance to several diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, and cancer.
- With age, your body’s tissues can undergo severe damage. The longevity diet helps to repair such damaged tissues.
- It also helps to increase your overall energy throughout the day.
What to Eat When Following the Longevity Diet?
You can eat the following food items when following the longevity diet:
- Fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables
- Legumes and beans
- Seafood which has low mercury content.
- Dry fruits such as almonds, cashews, and pistachios. However, avoid roasting these nuts in oil.
- Small portions of fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, mackerel, and tuna.
- Try switching to extra virgin olive oil.
Other Details of the Longevity diet:
- After the age of 65, your muscle mass starts declining and certain tissues in your body can undergo damage.
- Therefore, you must increase your daily protein intake after the age of 65.
- It is important that you eat a hearty breakfast daily on time. This tip will help you stay energetic throughout the day. Try to eat in 12-hour intervals. This means that you must eat your dinner early in the morning and your dinner 12 hours after it. It will help you to regulate your metabolism and sleep better too.
- Try to limit your calorie intake to 1100 calories a day. This must include 60% fats, 30% carbs, and 10% protein.
- If you are suffering from diabetes, then do not stay hungry for long.
The longevity diet should be on every person’s to-do list if you want to lead a long and healthy life. It helps you keep certain diseases and disorders at bay for a longer period of time. So, age beautifully and live a long healthy life with the all-new longevity diet!